Planning for your visit
P – Prepare for your visit
- Write down your main concerns or questions
- Make a list of all your medicines and supplements or bring them with you
- Think about bringing a support person
- Ask for a translator if needed
L – Let your health professional know
- If you don't understand
- If there is anything else you can tell them about your health condition
- If you are having problems with your medication
A – Ask questions
- What is my condition?
- What happens next?
- Why is that important?
N - Note down
- What you need to do next
- Any decisions you have made together
- Things that are important for you to remember
- How your family/whanau can support you
On your visit
Remember: IT'S OK TO BE SICK. Doctors are people too.
Feel comfortable with your doctor
Remember you have been allocated a certain time for your appointment. (15 mins unless you ask for an extended appointment)
Do prioritise your health issues.
Do listen carefully and ask questions.
Do be clear about your symptoms. Tell your doctor:
- What has changed
- When the symptoms occur
- If there is pain
- How much pain there is
- When it started
- How often it happens
Questions your doctor may ask
- My previous medical history
- My previous surgical history
- My medications
- My family history
- My allergies
- My smoking status
- My obstetric history
- My screening history
- Cervical smears
- Breast screening
- My immunisation status
- How much alcohol I consume
- Any new skin lesions
- My occupational history
- What is the name of my medicine and what is it for?
- Can I explain what it says on the medicine label
- How and when do I take it
- How long do I need to take it for?
- What could happen if I stop taking it?
- What should I do if I forget to take it?
- What are the side effects? What should I do if you get these?
- What do I need to avoid while I am taking the medication?
- What if the medication is too expensive for my budget?
- What do I do if my medication looks different from what I normally get?
- When should I call my doctor?