Skip to content
Is someone close to you quitting smoking? Your support and encouragement can be very important as they try to quit - and to help them stay quit. Here are some tips on how you can help:
- Don't argue with or nag them about their smoking – but support them when they choose to quit.
- Let them know where they can find help and support to quit.
- Suggest going to places where people don't smoke.
- Go walking or exercising with them.
- Be there for them! Sometimes, a person who is trying not to smoke just needs someone to talk to.
- Show them how you deal with stress and boredom without smoking.
- Remind them they will enjoy socialising, eating and exercising much more than before.
- Focus on all the good things about quitting, and their own reasons for quitting.
- Most smokers try several times before they quit permanently – but every quit attempt will make it easier for them to stop smoking next time around. Give support and encouragement, even when they have a slip-up. A slip-up is not a relapse – it's just a slip-up.